Re: [tlug] Nero - Interesting?

On 2005/03/18@example.com:05, <David Santinoli> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 06:34:00PM +0900, Mauro Sauco wrote:

>Maybe not :-)

>It seems dd is not a reliable tool to duplicate CDs, since most of them
>end with two unreadable run-out sectors which make it go bananas. (See
>the "README.copy" file that comes with cdrtools.)
>You might want to use the "readcd" command that comes with cdrtools
>instead.

you are partially right,

---README.copy---
The best way to copy a data disk is to copy the raw data on the
master CD.
This may be done by reading the data from the raw device by using
'dd' or
'sdd'.

NOTE: All CD-R's written in Track At Once mode end in two unreadable
   run-out sectors. If the disk has been written with a Yamaha
CD-R100
   or with a Yamaha CD-R102, there are even more run-out sectors.

For this reason, you will not be able to read such a CD correctly
with 'dd'
---README.copy---

but I swear I my images never went bananas :) anyways yes, provably it is
safer to use readcd.

thanks,

//mauro//