Re: [tlug] Rsync password usage

First I would recommend that you use ssh as your remote shell then
simply create a pair of keys without passphrase.

//mauro//

On 2005/03/18@example.com:49, <Charles Muller> wrote:
After having used rsync for a couple years to do backups among my
local machines, today for the first time (believe it or not), I tried
to get it working to my web site.

I succeeded with this:

    rsync --delete -ruvptl
    /mnt/win_d/docs/www.acmuller.net/public_html/test
    acmuller@example.com:public_html

Now I want to use cron, and so I'll need to have the password entered
automatically. The rsync man page has this option:

    --password-file=FILE    get password from FILE

So I made the file /home/chuck/.pairpass and then tried

     rsync --delete --password-file=/home/chuck/.pairpass -ruvptl
     /mnt/win_d/docs/www.acmuller.net/public_html/test
     acmuller@example.com:public_html

But I am still getting the password challenge.

Is my error apparent?

Thanks,

Chuck

---------------------------
Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities
1660 Hiregasaki, Nagareyama-shi
Chiba 270-0161 JAPAN
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787

http://www.acmuller.net

<acmuller[at]jj.em-net.ne.jp>

--
TLUG Technical Meeting:  Saturday, March 12th, 14:00~16:30
Ubiquitous Business Technology meeting room (near Ochanomizu)

The TLUG server is hosted by Open Source Development Lab Japan.
http://www.osdl.jp/