[tlug-digest] Re: [tlug] Fedora Core 3 questions

I finally got to attack my languishing Fedora Core 3
installation. In January I asked:

=?UTF-8?B?R8OhYm9yIEZhcmthcw==?= <gabor@example.com> replied:
>> generally there's a faq:
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/i18n/iiimf-faq.html

Very interesting. It'll take a while to absorb all that. Clearly the
Fedora/RH people have taken a large and solid step in the UTF8 direction
and I'll get into it once I have the legacy stuff working.

>> technically there's no need to use XIM anymore...
>> gtk2 based programs (like gnome-terminal or firefox) can use gtk2 input
>> modules which work much better...
>>
>> there are many input methods, fedore seems to prefer iiimf.
>> so i would recommend you to use iiimf.
>> add the gimlet applet to the taskbar, and with that you should be able
>> to switch the languages easily..

Changing IME, or at least the interface can wait a bit. I'll get what I
can going with kinput2, then move on.

Joe Larabell <larabell@?jp> wrote:

>> There's already a utility, /usr/bin/env, that allows you to set env
>> variables before running any program. If it's really a case of the env
>> variables confusing the shell, the following should work:
>>
>>   /usr/bin/env LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2 /usr/bin/mozilla

Great. That worked fine. In fact it is Firefox1.0, but no matter - it's
talking to kinput2 now and all is well

BTW, I came across a very good page on Linux/UTF8:
http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html    Rather Debian-flavoured, but
very interesting and useful.

Fedora also bit me because I could no longer get apps running on other
systems, e.g. the calendar on our Solaris server, to display under
Linux. It turned out I had to fiddle with the gdm config file as well as
the usual xhost/DISPLAY stuff.

Thanks for the advice so far, and I may have more questions once I
have got further in.

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 9554