Re: [tlug] Re: Alan Cox's remark at Fosdem

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:43:47 -0500, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:27:39AM -0500, Josh Glover wrote:
>
> > Emacs is not a text editor, it is a way of life. :)
>
> The old joke, I tried to learn emacs then settled for learning a simpler
> O/S (timidly writes the vi user).

I resisted the urge, but am not surprised that you could not! :)

> > But I could not agree more about the importance of being able to
> > customise *everything* about your environment.
>
> This, I think is the trouble with original argument.  Flexible as mutt
> is, going back to the analogy of hands....
>
> We use hammers.  It is true that with years of training, some people can
> hammer a nail with their fists.   However, how many people are willing,
> or have the time, to make that a priority?

Oh, I don't care about that. I was talking purely from my own
perspective, not saying that everyone should use Mutt. In fact, I
actually prefer a GUI for my email, it is just that I have not found a
GUI that is anywhere near as flexible as Mutt, so I always go back. I
have a dream of writing a GUI and web front-end for Mutt, but that
will probably remain a dream for the foreseeable future, given the
constraints on my time.

-Josh