Re: [tlug] Re: Alan Cox's remark at Fosdem

Uva Coder wrote:

>>    Uva> To me that is like saying we should fork the Linux kernel
>>    Uva> and keep the forks separate because it will improve Linux
>>    Uva> overall.
>>
>>Ehem.  Isn't that precisely what happens on a regular basis?  It's
>>just that Linus doesn't kick anybody out for forking, so some code to
>>do whatever it is eventually wends its way back in.
>>

>Chaos doesn't lead to order. Order leads to order. Order begets
>understanding.

But there are varying degrees of chaos, and some chaos does indeed lead
to order, while some order very definitely leads to chaos.  Always
staying on what is perceived to be (but isn't, in the end) the safest
path leads to a kind of death through mediocrity.  Order is to be
desired of course and I also really hate it when a perfectly good design
is damaged in the name of progress, but... but... [time passing while
Lyle ponders the situation and realizes there is really no way to settle
this...]... experimentation leads to some really cool discoveries, and -
anyway - can you think of any worse he*l than a world in which we were
actually the same and were all using the same tools?  This he*l is
actually easy to visualize!  Look at the purgatory known as W-box Land!

Lyle