Re: [tlug] MythTV in Japan

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 04:07:41PM +0900, David Bennett wrote:

> At any rate, one of the things I definitely want to get working is
> MythTV. I am going to buy a TV Tuner and start the party, but, and
> this is a big but, has anyone got it working in Japan with our TV
> Channels here? (the TV recording, live tv pausing, Onscreen guide
> etc.?)

The Kuroutoshikou CX23416GYC-STVLP MPEG capture card is a Hauppage 250
clone; it is well-supported by ivtv.

(let me qualify that -- it is well-supported by a Japanese fork of ivtv)

> Better yet, will it work in the middle of Shikoku, or is that TV
> schedule gathering program Tokyo centric?

The schedule gathering module has many, many locality options.  You should
be fine.

> Any advice, tutorials, advice for (1) buying a new system for linux
> and (2) setting up Myth TV in inaka, Japan would be very much
> appreciated.

I'm almost finished building mine.  I used an EPIA-M board (Nehemiah -- 1GHz,
the one with the fan).  Get as large of a hard drive as you can justify.
I haven't managed to get the motherboard MPEG decoder to work; Xorg's latest
release handles the on-board video chip's TV output fine.

MythTV is a bitch to compile/configure.  It depends on about six thousand
perl modules, and expects the system Qt to have MySQL support.

It's a neat project, but I'm very unimpressed with MythTV's build infra ...
--

-- Chris
	GPG key FEB9DE7F (91AF 4534 4529 4BCC 31A5  938E 023E EEFB FEB9 DE7F)