Re: [tlug] de Raadt receives award from Stallman

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:00:19PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> It's a little early for an April Fool's joke.  Maybe "Chinese All
> Fools' Day?"  I do want to hear what Chris has to say....

What's there to say, really?  I'm quite sad; Tridge has contributed more to,
and deserves more praise from, the F/OSS community than The0 has.

I fucking despise The0, the man who sees nothing wrong with holding for-profit
OpenBSD CD signing parties that remind one of political blue-plate dinners.

OpenBSD may have been the first BSD to have open read-only CVS; NetBSD couldn't
open up completely until the supposedly tainted files had been proveably
purged from the repository.  I misremember how FreeBSD dealt with the problem;
NetBSD-current source was available via CVSup, ftp-able directories, etc.

OpenSSH ... well, I wouldn't choose it as the posterboy for Free Software.  Its
origins are dubious, in that its codebase originates from the last RealSSH
release that used a license vaguely compatible with CSRG ... a codebase that
was designed for V1 protocol operation, demonstrably insecure and unreliable.

V2 protocol was bolted on, but the codebase never received the overhaul that
it needs to be even somewhat trusted.  I still remember the nastiness from
2002; Alan Cox went on record stating that he distrusted The0, his code, his
motivation, and his fashion sense.

OpenBSD?  Secure by design?  Please.  Minus the much-vaunted line-by-line
code audit (which wasn't all that), OpenBSD brings ~0 to the table.  They've
stolen most platform support from NetBSD (except UVM, which will seriously
zap them when they decide that amd64 is Tier 1), gratuitously break standards
(OLF? VRRP?), and refuse to admit wrongness.  There are ~90 active NetBSD
developers (91 if/when Austin comes on-board), who are heavily grounded in
OS design/implementation (employed by Apple, NASA ...); OpenBSD has about 10,
who bug-fix rather than blaze trails.

Too much for TLUG, I guess ... although I sort of miss the knee-jerk Ayako
response ...

-- Chris "the only Brazilian I recognize is on 'Invisible Touch'" Sekiya
	GPG key FEB9DE7F (91AF 4534 4529 4BCC 31A5  938E 023E EEFB FEB9 DE7F)