Re: [tlug] Fedora Core 3 questions

> > (b) ditto for Firefox. I assumed it would be OK to use the same
> > technique I used for Mozilla with RH7.3, in which I start it with:
> > "LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2 /usr/bin/mozilla" but it barfs at the
> > the "LANG" from which I assume the launcher in Fedora C3 is using a
> > different shell.
>
> Why don't you write a quicky shell script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2 /usr/bin/mozilla

There's already a utility, /usr/bin/env, that allows you to set env
variables before running any program. If it's really a case of the env
variables confusing the shell, the following should work:

  /usr/bin/env LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2 /usr/bin/mozilla

/usr/bin/env is also handy to use after the shebang at the top of perl and
other ascii scripts when you don't know where the interpreter will be
installed on any particular system. It knows how to use the search path to
find the executable. For example:

  #!/usr/bin/env perl

--
Joe Larabell -- Synopsys VCS Support      US: larabell@example.com