Re: [tlug] HELP! A possible Linux Rescue CD for my Japanese files!

> For recovery NTFS first try use Windows Installation Boot CD and go to
> console mode and you can fix from console using chkdsk   for more
> information try chkdsk /?

Thank you for your quick response!

 The first thing I did was try to repair the drive with a number of
tools. Any tools running from Windows (or DOS for that matter) crash.
chkdsk, scandisk, Windows Installation BOOT CD and the recovery
console all stall. the Windows Installation BOOT CD is particularily
frustrating in that a simple scan of the hard drive to ascertain its
free space etc. causes the crash, thereby not allowing me to proceed.

I have tried everything to repair the drive, now it is all about
saving the data... (which lead in to my original question! I have
found a partial saviour in SLAX, now if I can only extend that to my
japanese files...)

sincerely,
david