Re: [tlug] newbie notebook question

Wayne wrote:

> I'm not interested in what's under the bonnet. So you
> may think less of me because of it, I'm not into distro snobbery
> like some of you so I'm going to unsubscribe from this forum and
> let you have some peace from us tedious noobs

All I can say is that the comments Steven made prior to this were
among the kindest and gentlest I've ever seen him make on this sort of
topic--I really don't think it was distro-bashing or newbie
discrimination in any way. Personally, I've been through exactly this
sort of "growth" process (Mandrake --> Redhat --> Debian) in my Linux
experience. In the beginning, getting into Linux through Mandrake and
their wonderful Newbie forums was the about the only way I could make
it.

After a while, though, I found that some of the constrictions imposed
by the Mandrake way of doing things served to prevent me from some of
the further learning and customization that I desired, and so I moved
on from one distro to another--dumping Red Hat after feeling that the
treatment they gave me as a paying customer was shoddy. I am delighted
to now be in the Debian community.

So, I don't find Steven's description of this process to be in any way
disparaging. It's just an experience shared by a lot of people who do
Linux.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University