[tlug] kinput problems with Debian sarge

Hi all.

I'm having a rather strange problem with kinput2 that I'm hoping you
can help me with.  I've searched quite extensively looking for an
answer, but have not yet found one.

I got some new parts for Christmas (AMD64 3000+.... ooooohhhh), so
naturally I reinstalled.  I decided to give Debian a try.  Once I got
back into the swing of the Debian way of doing things, I had canna and
kinput2 installed and running.  My first test showed the problem.

I started mozilla and went to google.  I pressed <shift><space> to
enter Japanese input.  Everything looked normal.  I entered my wife's
name, pressed space once, then again, and the Kanji selection window
appeared as I expected it.  I selected the correct kanji and pressed
enter.

Here where things go wrong.

Her kanji is now displayed in google's search textbox highlight, as is
to be expected.  One more final <enter> and the kanji will be
selected.  I should then be able to enter more.  Unfortunately, this
is not what happens.  When I press enter to finalize my selection
(while the kanji is highlighted), my query is submitted to google.  If
I press backspace when the kanji is highlighted, it is deleted, but I
can no longer enter anything (at least... it doesn't display).

Back to a pre-final-selection highlighted kanji...  Normally, pressing
<enter> now would finalize the selection.  But, as I explained, my
google query is instead submitted.  When I try to enter more text in
the search textbox, kinput2 doesn't "hear" my <shift><space>.  In
fact, it never will again unless I restart mozilla.  Of course, after
restarting mozilla, I can only enter a single set of kanji and then
kinput2 again doesn't "hear" my <shift><space>.  This happens in other
applications as well (i.e. gimp, gqview, etc.)

It works perfectly in xterm.  xterm is using on-the-spot input while
mozilla and the rest are using off-the-spot input (at the bottom of
the mozilla window).

I hope that makes sense.  It is the best way I can explain it.  I may
not be using the correct terminology, but I think you can get what I
mean.  I speak a decent amount of Japanese, but I cannot read (nor
write) much kanji.  This is for my wife.  I've had her on Linux for
nearly 6 years now.  I've never had a problem with kinput or canna in
the past that I couldn't solve.  This one is confusing me.

Here are some details...

Debian (sarge)
canna
kinput
Xfree86 (duh)
gnome or icewm (problem exists in both)
all apps are stock Debian sarge (all apt-getted from official debian
repositories)

.xinitrc:

export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
export LC_MESSAGES=ja_JP.eucJP
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP
LANGUAGE=C
export LANGUAGE
XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
export XMODIFIERS
kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna &
exec icewm-session

It appears I have all the fonts and dicts installed.  Everything
renders correctly, but I don't think fonts or dicts should case this,
particularly since it works so well in xterm.

HELP!  She's going to kill me soon.  She hasn't said the "W" word yet,
but I fear it's coming.

Thanks in advance.

--
Mike Gauthier