[tlug] Japanese Input

All,

Thanks again for all your help with Japanese input.
To close the loop, I thought I'd write the steps I
used in case anyone cares.  I used the latest versions
of canna & kinput2 (Oct 2002? - there are some
problems with this package - needs update).  Build
system had gcc-3.2.3, binutils-2.14, make-3.80,
glibc-2.3.2 & xf86-4.4.0.

Attached is a .txt doccument with the commands I used
to compile & configure the system.  Init is
accomplished by Util-linux's simpleinit.

This will allow input for the Opera browser & probably
some other stuff.  My main goal was to be able to
write e-mail, which this will allow.  You'll need more
to type in ATerm or other.

色々とありがとうございました。

S A Kewish

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
INITIAL SETUP

    echo bin::1: >> /etc/group
    echo bin::1:1:bin:: >> /etc/passwd

    mkdir /usr/lib/locale
    localedef -i ja_JP -f EUC-JP ja_JP

COMPILE & INSTALL CANNA

    cd /usr/local/src/Canna*
    xmkmf
    make canna
    make install
    cp -a /usr/local/canna/lib/canna /usr/include

CONFIGURE FOR CANNA STARTUP (at boot)

    cat > /sbin/init.d/canna << 'done'
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ $1 != "start" ];then exit 0;fi
    need rc || exit 1
    /usr/local/canna/bin/cannaserver
    done

    chmod 0755 /sbin/init.d/canna

    echo export PATH='$PATH':/usr/local/canna/bin >> /etc/profile

    echo /usr/local/canna/lib >> /etc/ld.so.conf

    /sbin/ldconfig -v

COMPILE & INSTALL KINPUT2

    cd /usr/local/src/kinput2*
    xmkmf -a
    make
    make install

CONFIGURE FOR KINPUT2 STARTUP (at startx)

    echo kinput2 & >> /home/name/.xinitrc

START OPERA WITH THE FOLLOWING COMMAND (twm)

    !"XMODIFIERS='@example.com=kinput2' LANG=ja_JP opera &"

Japanese input should work (toggle on & off with Shift-space)