[tlug] P-II to P-III

"P-II to P-III"

I wondered if I was wasting my time and money when I bought a Y2,100
computer (P-III, 450MHz, functional but with no HDD) so I could upgrade
my work computer from a P-II 350MHz to the P-III 450MHz, but in the
event, in spite of it requiring a little more time than I had expected,
the result surprises me a little.  It's only a 100MHz climb (with the
same memory boards, same HDD, and same software setup), but things are
working quite a bit better.  I seem to have crossed the threshold of
what the CPU can effectively handle without running beyond capacity half
the time, leading to perpetual time lags for just about everything.  It
was definitely a worthwhile expenditure of Y2,100 and now I have an
extra test computer as well (the P-II 350MHz).

Aside from the faster processing, is there some fundamental difference
between P-II and P-III processors?  Does the "III" have some meaning
other than for marketing purposes?

Lyle