[tlug] Plan 9 Software Ported to Unix

Thanks to Zev's demonstration last week reawakening my interest in Plan
9, I decided that exploring it a little bit would be a good
procrastination excuse.  I don't have a spare machine at the moment
(and the "Plan 9 on Xen" isn't ready yet) so just doing a Plan 9
installation wasn't practical.

My first thought was the Wily editor that I had last used 7 or 8 years
ago.  Wily is a Unix editor patterned after the Acme editor, that still
has a small but devoted following.  Its original author was a Python
enthusiast, and Wily was made quite controllable by external languages.
   http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~oz/wily/

A bit more Googling led me to a port of most of the Plan 9 software
tree.  Not only can I run acme, but sam, plumber, and even rio are all
available, along with the Plan 9 tool chain.  It all seems to hang
together surprisingly well in its own tree within my Linux system.
   http://swtch.com/plan9port/
(The current tarball's INSTALL script does not properly make the lib9
library.  After doing ./INSTALL do:
   cd /usr/local/plan9/src/lib9
   rm getcallerpc-386.o
   mk getcallerpc-386
)

It would be fun to find a couple of junk small form factor machines to
play with the real Plan 9, but until then this "port" of some of the
tools is fine for exploration (and procrastination :-).
--
Jim Tittsler  7J1AJH/AI8A                            GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/