Re: [tlug] Re: TLUG Casual Meeting (2004-09-18)

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 10:29:41AM +0900, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2004, at 13:33, Zev Blut wrote:
>
> - Plan 9.  We tried installing Plan 9 on one of the machines but were
> frustrated by what seemed to be video driver problems.  After partially
> working around those by reducing resolution, we still failed to
> complete the install from a "cover disc" CD.  (A Plan 9 demonstration
> on a network of 2 or more machines would be an excellent topic for a
> future meeting.  Hint, hint.)
>   http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/

Sorry that I missed the meeting. Getting a video driver working with
Plan 9 can be a challenge. Video support for newer cards often means
to write the driver yourself. :) Fortunately, most video cards supported
by Plan 9 are inexpensive. Other times it is just a matter of compiling a
new kernel (< 20 seconds) with the right video driver.

I wouldn't mind giving a presentation on Plan 9, but not soon. I've
started a working group to develop a Plan 9 demo for an open source
expo. Once we get a demo funded and running, I'll present the work at
a TLUG meeting. :)

--Uva