[tlug] problems with booting the system

Hi!

Back to Germany I completely changed my desktop computer to linux
(SuSE 9.1) but now I have several problems I didn't have before:
1. Booting up is only possible with the option ide=nodma
If I do not use this option it doesn't find the root-partition (/dev/hda2)
It seems that other partitions are no problem:
/boot is on /dev/hda1
/home is on /dev/hda3
swap is on /dev/hdb1
additional space called /misc is on /dev/hdb2

After booting and filesystemcheck the dma is switching on on all drives.

2. Suddenly a new problem occured: When I do not start with acpi=off
and apm=off the comp has a problem loading libz.so.1 ("error while
Because of this X cannot start and several other programs like cp and
so on won't function as well and they are giving always that error.

3. Sometimes the computer hangs while booting.

4. Reiser finds now always failures in the filesystem and repairs them
with the journal - never happened before.

I wrote with dd an image to /dev/null and no error occured, thus the
harddisk should be ok. I didn't make a complete RAM-Test because it
will last over several days with a ususal memtest (2^32-1 runs...After
something like 7 - 8 hours it completed run 22) but the first 22 runs
where always without an error. All cables are exactly where they
should be.
One thing to mention: The computer was moved several times while I was
away and when I returned - but usual movement (so carrying it a few
meters) and no falling down or so.

Any ideas?

The dma-problem is not that big but it would be cool if I could use
acpi for shutting down the computer automatically after an "init 0"

Greetings and thanks in advance

Niels

--
Is your Linux cute?