Re: [tlug] Sub: best thing on the internet

    Godwin> Most of the time, spammers won't bother with closed-loop
    Godwin> opt-in lists.  They'll only bother with those that don't
    Godwin> require a confirmation process, and they'll subscribe
    Godwin> using someone else's e-mail address - in effect,
    Godwin> subscribing that third party to the list in question.

I wish spammers were as dumb as you talk, but they're not.  They are
just economical.  We know that they're already using viruses and
addresses gotten from open archives, I've even heard of an apparent
"cross-post" to a list closed enough to make even you feel safe.  If
you manage to close up enough archives and lists, they'll switch to
using the slightly more costly technique I described.  And in the end
we'll be left where we started back in 1990: with archie, and only for
things one already knows are there.

Be very proud of yourself.  Able to beat up on poor defenseless IP
blocks, but not capable of stopping a single spam that gets through
your blacklist.

"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."