Re: [tlug] stdin/stderr redirection under Solaris

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I don't think any of the shells have syntax for sending different FDs
> to different pipes;

Bummer.

> use the "y" program for that.  However, I don't
> see a "y" program on Debian or an old Red Hat Linux.

I couldn't find any mention on a y program doing a quick google search
and there doesn't seem to be one installed on my Solaris machine or a
newer install of RH.

>  If you need two
> "consoles", you could use something like
>
> prog 1> tmp1 2> tmp2 &

Thanks for that but what I really want is one process I can nohup.
Something like:

$ nohup cmd 1| prog1 2|prog2 &

 From what everyone has suggested it doesn't look like that is going to
be possible though.

The best I've gotten is this recommendation from Steve Smith but it
doesn't seem to lend itself to being nohup'ed ...

$(cmd | prog1) |& prog2

Jc