Re: [tlug] Without the swap space.

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 02:21:50 +0900
Shin MICHIMUKO <smitimko@example.com> wrote:

> But the fact was different. When I deleted the swap space, and I
> confirmed my memory space is only 128MB RAM by "free" command, but
> it became really slow when I invoke "spamassassin" or some other
> memory consuming applications. Sometimes it hangs up.
>
> Is this a known problem of Linux? I heard of a word "thrashing" of
> the time sharing system, but is there any way to keep controls of
> the box, without pushing the power button?
Depending on your kernel version it should handle the out of memory
conditions (OOC) differently as this has been tweaked a lot lately in the
2.4 series and AFAIK 2.6 even offers some different options for this. The
debate is on this is what process to kill.

System hangs used to be a problem, now my 2.4.26 handles OOC fairly well:
May 26 14:21:23 localhost kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 11850