[tlug] C vs. other languages (was: tlug-digest Digest V2004 #194)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:43:32 -0400, Josh Glover <tlug@example.com> wrote:

> I actually feel that a lot of systems software can *really* benefit from
> OO, so I tend to agree with you here. However, C++ brings with it its own
> can of worms (mangled names, anyone?).

True.

> Believe it or not, I would actually choose Java over C++ in most places.

/me turns green (not with envy).

> Before anyone starts throwing furniture, let me explain my reasons:

I don't feel well enough to start throwing furniture right now... And your
reasons do make perfect sense within a certain mindset, but read on.

> Sure, Java is a memory hog. Sure, it is not as efficient as good C. But
> if you have the memory to throw at it, why not?

Because I never consider even for a second that what I'm writing is the only
thing running on the box. That's Bill Gates' mindset, not mine. The school
of thought I belong to basically persists in wanting to make the most of the
resources at my disposal instead of assuming that it doesn't matter because
there's oodles of spare CPU cycles and RAM. Oh, and disk space is cheap too
now so we might as well compile everything static.

> C just takes that much more effort. I don't care how macho a C hacker you
> are, it does.

I agree. Where we don't agree is just how much it's *worth* the extra
effort.

Why are 99% of the operating system I use and its auxiliary tools written in
C rather than Java? What about the mailer I use? A few of the tools I use
(including the GUI) are written in C++ - why not in Java if Java's OO is so
good? ("because they suck" isn't an answer...:)

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.7-em8300)