[tlug] Page re utf-8 on Linux

Michael Beddow has forwarded me a couple of interesting bits of
information on Unicode in Linux, which
I'll pass along here:

> I think you may be interested in this page  ("Multilingual Text on
> Linux")  which I came across recently
>
> http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html
>
> This seems to be kept up to date, although it hasn't yet caught up with the
> (for me) rather significant development that joe, my long-time favourite
> text editor, at long last has acquired full utf-8 support as of version 3.0
> (though none of the distros aside from Suse has bothered to update their
> packages, not that it really matters since joe builds from source with no
> trouble on any platform).

 [And, concerning Mandrake...]

> I'm also glad to say that as of version 10 Mandrake has finally got utf-8 as
> a system default working properly. It was supposed to work in utf-8
> throughout as of 9.0, but there were still a lot of problems with some
> applications.

This should be good news for some Mandrake users, because it was exactly
the inability to get utf-8 working right on Emacs in Mandrake that ended
up forcing me to dump that distro. But now that I've got my main machines running
on straight Debian (thanks to a recent version of the Sarge beta
installer), that's water under the bridge.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities