Re: [tlug] OT Printer recommendation

Scott wrote:

>The only problem with those, at least in the US is that the printer will
>sell for 90 dollars but the cartridge refills will often cost $30
>dollars or more.  :)  Of course, laser refills are even more expensive.

I went through three ink jet printers that all ended up having paper
feed problems within a year of buying them.  Aside from that, there were
a number of irritating things about ink-jet printers in comparison to
the laser printer I've been using for the past three years:

1) The ink cartridges ran out of ink rapidly, and when not used for a
week or so, the ink would dry in the nozzle and require cleaning before
it would print again.

2) Being water-based, whatever you print turns to blurred junk with the
first drop of water.

3) I was able to print about 3,000 sheets of paper with the laser
printer before I had to change the cartridge.  Not having to buy
cartridges for over three years and - very important this - not having
to buy new printers for three years!

For the above reasons I would definitely recommend a laser printer if
you don't need color.  I don't know what's on the market at the moment,
but there must be something.  I'm using an Epson LP-900.  It's beginning
to have some paper feed problems, but it's far and away the best printer
I've had.

And, ah.... something else.  I use Linux for the Internet, but haven't
gotten around to setting up the printer yet.  I use OpenOffice for the
stuff I print and the files open on a never-on-line W-box that I use for
printing.  Ah... the shame of it!  But I would be remiss not to mention
that in case the Epson LP-900 doesn't set up well with Linux.  It
probably does, but I've had such bad luck with printers overall, I
haven't been in the mood to touch one that is actually working......