Re: [tlug] Twiddler keyboard

James Cluff wrote:

>Haven't you seen the girls on the train with their cell phones!  We are
>talking 90 words a minute with one thumb!

Is the figure really that high?  An executive secretary with all fingers
flying at full speed on a full-sized keyboard only has to type 100 words
a minute.  For the one thumb input, it must be - if that number is
accurate - *characters* per minute, and not *words* per minute.  One of
my Japanese friends who is a champion at inputting things on his cell
phone I challenged to back up his claims in an actual test.  We decided
on a set sentence and then timed him as he input it.  He fell far short
of his boasted speed... twice... but still - for only one thumb, it was
impressive nevertheless!