[tlug] Sound question

Hi,

Background:
SoundBlaster 128PCI sound card (es1371-based)
Linux-2.6.6 kernel, still using OSS rather than ALSA for now.

This particular sound card has 2 PCM channels. I suspect one of them is used
by the Windoze drivers to output PCM data generated from MIDI files given
that there is no on-board sequencer and that the 'doze drivers do pretty
much the same job as TiMidity.

Both aumix and KMix recognize the PCM2 channel and supply a slider to change
its gain.

How do I get an application such as TiMidity to output its data through this
channel instead of the "main" PCM1 channel?

I do have both /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1, but whichever one I use as an output
channel, its volume is *not* modified by the PCM2 gain slider, but *is*
modified by the PCM1 gain slider (not the master volume slider).

Is it a question of mknode'ing a new /dev/dsp{something} - in which case
does anyone know the major and minor - or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Google throws up one single page containing the terms es1371, pcm2 and oss,
and it doesn't mention anything about this except asking someone to check
the PCM2 volume level for a totally unrelated problem.

Any ideas?

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.6)