[tlug] Japanese input in non-Japanese SuSE Linux

>Von:
"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com>
Datum:
Mon, 17 May 2004 04:19:14 +0900
> I'm certainly looking forward to something like that.  I'm running two
> installs of Suse Linux right now just so I can write in Japanese.  For
> my main English machine, my attempts at Japanese input have all failed.
> Most recently buying (expensive) ATOK for Linux (Y8,000) that installed
> but doesn't work.  So... when I need to write something in Japanese, I
> fire up the box with the Japanese install of Suse and write from there.
> It's an easy thing to write in Japanese apparently, so I don't dare ask
> any more questions in here about how to get the English version of Suse
> to actually do it.

I am doing Japanese input from a German language SuSE 9.1.

step1: install canna, kinput2
        copy  /etc/skel/.xim.template   to   ~/.xim
step2: uncomment the following 2 lines at the end of ~/.xim
        export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
        kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna &

Then you can open any application which supports Japanese input,
e.g. typing from console:
       LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 kedit
and you can type Japanese after toggling with [Shift][Space]

Mike Fabian from SuSE has written a very good handbook about CJK in Linux.

Other topic: wma streams
I was wondering a long time how to listen to wma (most hated audio
format) stream internet radio. This is needed for German Bundesliga
live-radio under www.bundesliga.de.
Installing MPlayer, with win32 dlls under /usr/lib/win32, and KMPlayer,
then it works with Konqueror browser.
I was not able to solve this with Mozilla. If someone knows, I am happy
to learn.

Thomas Piekenbrock