Re: [tlug] dhcp-client question

Quoth Michal Hajek (Tue 2004-05-18 12:33:16PM +0200):

> I have encountered a strange situation on one of my linux boxes.
>
> The mashine was runing without problems for months (with several
> reboots during that time). But after last reboot few days ago, I started
> to have these messages in log:
>
> May 14 17:21:49 mymashine dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to xxx.xxx.xx.87 port 67
> May 14 17:21:49 mymashine dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPACK from xxx.xxx.xx.xx
> May 14 17:21:49 mymashine dhclient-2.2.x: bound to xxx.xxx.xx.xxx -- renewal in 1800 seconds.

Nothing odd here. You use DHCP, your machine is requesting an address,
(usually due to lease expiration), and the DHCP server is ACKing that
request. As you can see from the third line there, the lease will last
another 1800 seconds--half an hour, unless my math is *really* off. :)

> Everything seems to work fine. I get right ip adress from right dhcp
> server. But I do not understand why I suddenly have there messages when
> I did not change anything.
>
> I have asked our network administrator and he confirmed, that they
> changed the dhcp server software, but the software runs on the same IP
> as the old one.

Possibly the leases are shorter now, so you were getting the messages
before, but just did not notice because they were not coming every 30
minutes.

In any case, it is nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
Josh

--
Josh Glover

Gentoo Developer (http://dev.gentoo.org/~jmglov/)
Tokyo Linux Users Group Listmaster (http://www.tlug.jp/)

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103