Re: [tlug] New Input Method in Fedora Core 2?

On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:58:26 -0700
Craig Oda <craigoda@example.com> wrote:

> I was talking to my friend Paul Gampe who used to run the old TWICS
> systems, but is now running development for Red Hat APAC.
>
> Anyway, Paul was telling me about the change in the input method away
> from Xinput to something that allows multi-byte character changes on
> the fly.
>
> http://fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/issue7.shtml

I tried the debian packages without much success:
http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0403/msg00206.html

I wanted to take a look at it and possibly implement a language
engine for im-ja but didn't get too far.

It seems to me that this thing is aimed for Solaris (I see the htt server
on our solaris box at work, but haven't tried it there) developed by Sun
people. Qoute:

"What mistakes Hideki made on XIM Design? Just too many mistakes in its
foundation..... impossible to patch out.... So, around 1995..... Decided
to redesign everything from scrach, and redo everything for future! The
IIIMF project started."

Hope that it will become usable in the next 10 years, but by then it will
be obsolete again...

> Evidently, you can put Chinese, Korean, and Japanese in the same text
> without having to login again and change the locale setting.
This is already possible with gtk2.

> I haven't played around with this yet.  Does anyone have an opinion as
> to whether the new input method is an improvement or not?
Would be an improvement if I could get it to work.