Re: [tlug] Linux VoIP / PBX

patrick.niessen@example.com wrote:

>I just read a German Magazine that explained how to create your own PBX
>using a Linux Box with two (widely and cheaply available in Germany) ISDN
>cards.  Does any project like that exist in Japan?  ISDN seems to be
>difficult as I have never seen an ISDN card for sale.

I used to pick up junk for nearly free or free - I just looked in the
closet and found:

Hitachi Terminal Adapter ISDN
T94-5042-0
Manufactured in April 1996

On the back it has what looks sort of like a serial port (slightly
different size though) with "X.21" below it.  Next to that is a larger
and very strange looking plug with "V.35" written by it.  To the right
of both of them is a LAN jack.

Mechanically, I don't think I'm ever going to find cords for those weird
plugs... I guess I should just toss this in the trash?

Another bit of hardware I have is:

Nortel Networks, Inc.
Model AXM-D-8-S-173
MLB 301250-A  REV 02

This one has a bank of 8 LAN ports, and then another LAN port and an odd
plug (like the one for the Hitachi) with "TRANSCEIVER (AUI) written
between them.

A couple of manuals that came with it say:

Bay Networks
Micro Annex
Hardware
Installation Guide

and

ANNEX Communications Server
Xylogics
Copyright 1990
Xylogics, Inc.

By appearances, it looks like it could be used as a sort of hub... is
there a useful application for old equipment like this?

Lyle