Re: [tlug] playing real video with an open source player

2004/05/05 (水) 12:39 に Stephen J. Turnbull さんは書きました:

> I think the popularity of OSS OSes among the geeky faction is shaping
> up very well.  There is an impressive amount of idle curiosity about
> FLOSS, especially Linux, even among my decidedly non-geeky students.
> But to actually gain market share is going to require a strategy based
> on doing something significantly better than Windows does.
>
> I don't know what that is yet, but I think it's worth thinking about.

A vague idea along those lines... Specialized distributions

It's being done already to an extent, i.e. I've heard of a couple of
Linux distros available specifically for natural language processing -
basically a normal distro (forget which they were based on) with all the
popular NLP related free shtuff installed. Saves a lot of time for
people who would rather focus on their real work (which can be plenty
hard enough) without spending days working through dependencies for
under-documented software.

Maybe something like this could work for corporate types. Just install
from the CD (or maybe even Knoppixly just stick the CD in the drive) and
you've got everything you need to do "Joe job #3c". But more importantly
you've got *only* what you need to do that job. Not 1001 other bits of
software that the user can waste several hours a day playing with until
Catbert catches him and then you need to reprimand him the first 5 times
then fire him the 6th and then get sued because you forgot to carefully
document how you clearly explained the policy about that sort of thing
and warned him clearly in writing each time and he acknowledged that he
clearly understood your warnings and promised to never do it again cross
his heart and hope to be axed, yoh.

Gain advantage by providing less. Just a thought, fell free to commence
shooting...

--
-dave