Re: [tlug] Regexp

>     Daniel> I looking for a regular expression that would match
>     Daniel> everything except a particuliar string.
>
> Taking your egrep example seriously (ie, line-oriented behavior)
>
> ^[^a]*(a+([^ab][^a]*|b[^ac][^a]*)?)*$

You are right for the line-oriented behavior. The example is working.
I am yet to figure it out... but it's working...

>     Daniel> Changing the software is not an option.
>
> Maybe changing jobs is?  Life is too short to try to do this kind of
> task with regexps.  The "abc" example is _easy_.

Mmmm... Changing job could be an option... :)

Seriously, I need to parse out a much longer string then just "abc". And
looking at what you wrote, the regexp would be too long to be
implementable.

Thanks for the effort, I'm keeping this for reference...

dan...