Re: [tlug] playing real video with an open source player

On Mon, 3 May 2004 04:12:52 -0400, ben konrath <ben@example.com> wrote:

> If not, is there a video format that I should recommend to them? I was
> thinking the xvid codec or theora, but any thoughts / sugestions are
> welcome.

No, RealSpamPlayer format is far from open-source.

Short of using open standards, you could always use codecs for which there
are open-source players. I'm thinking of MPEG in particular.

But .mov, .rm and .wmv are the three LEAST open formats UT could have
chosen! It's a bit like distributing open-source advocacy documents as
.doc files...

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.5)