Re: [tlug] New Word Perfect Office for Linux is $30

Quoth Jonathan Byrne (Sun 2004-04-25 09:40:39PM -0700):
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:41:18AM +0900, Keith.Wilkinson@example.com
> wrote:
>
> >www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel2/Products/AllProducts
>
> On one hand, it's only USD $30.  On the other hand, I think it's about
> 3 years late to market and costs $30 more than OpenOffice.org, which gives
> you a whole office suite, not just a word processor.  Or if you're going
> to spend money, $70 gets you the full Star Office suite.  I predict
> Corel is going to have a tough time marketing this to the general Linux
> community.  Their niche might be Linux-curious law offices, since I
> understand Word Perfect is used even today by more than a few law firms.

Funny, I used the Corel Office suite on Linux when I first started--
Mandrake 7.x then Red Hat 6.0, in 1998. I had always preferred WordPerfect
to Word. I think as a writer (which I was then to a greater degree than
my lazy arse is now), it had more nifty features that did Word at the
time.

--
Josh Glover

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103