Re: [tlug] HTML app packager?

Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com> wrote:
>> For a few years now, I've had a couple of freely searchable CJK-English
>> dictionaries running off my web site (www.acmuller.net): one that
>> focuses on historical Chinese glyphs and compounds, and another that
>> focuses on CJK-based Buddhist terminology. Both of these work off an XML
>> file data set, using a combination of Perl and XSLT, built (free of
>> charge!) by Michael Beddow.

And a very fine system it is.

>> Recently, I've been getting more and more requests to provide a locally
>> downloadable version of these dictionaries for people in places where
>> internet access is still either too expensive, slow, or unreliable to
>> take proper advantage of my web setup. Since the prospect of trying to
>> build something that would duplicate the present XML setup for local
>> users is far too complicated, I thought I might instead be able to
>> generate a set of HTML output files, compile/index them, and package
>> them with some sort of search function.

I get heaps of such requests for the WWWJDIC server functionality to be
made available - usually for Windows. Plus people asking could they get
the files to run on a local Apache.

>> So, my question is: has anyone come across a platform-independent
>> application that would help me do this (I've been searching around for a
>> while, and haven't turned up anything)? Or perhaps some other
>> suggestions as to how I might try to approach this problem?

I haven't encountered anything that would do what you want. It doesn't
sound too atrocious a task though. If I had a week or so of pare
time...

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 9554