Re: [tlug] shell question

Quoth Stephen J. Turnbull (Fri 2004-04-16 04:03:23PM +0900):

>     Alain> And for those of us with a penchant for even more niche
>     Alain> programming languages....

Ruby is niche? If I wanted niche, I would whip up something in Brainf*ck.
;)

>     Alain> http://samsara.bebear.net/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/al/rublog.cgi/scripts/
>     Alain> changing_lines_in_files.html
>
> Wow!  Whoever thought up that syntax must be systematically bent!
> To each his own, of course, but I'd rather write Perl, I think!

I must agree that this syntax is hard to grok. I have never looked at
Ruby before.

> One of the things I like about Python is that the language is
> _designed_.  It may not to be your taste, and that's fine.  As Larry
> Wall says, there's always more than one way to do things.  But with
> Python, once I started to grok pythonicity, the new language features
> just seem to grow naturally (no like-moss-or-mold jokes, please) out
> of the language.  YMWV.

I found Python quite a pleasure to code in, once I got over the initial
hump of "this ain't exactly C". :)

--
Josh Glover

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103