[tlug] nihongo input w/ gentoo distro

question related to japanese input.

after perusing the
gentoo locale input doc located at
http://home.no.net/david/i18n.html
I have input working but am not able to
scroll thru alternate kanji.

for instance: sakana さかな 魚 (boxed numbers
in alt win)

---------------

I am using fvwm and my .xintrc looks like:
LANG=ja_JP.eucJP LANGUAGE=ja_JP.eucJP
LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP
 uim-xim &

and my .bashrc looks like:

# Nihongo Input
alias jap="export XMODIFIERS=@example.com=uim-anthy
LANG=ja_JP.eucJP LANGUAGE=ja_JP.eucJP
LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP"

commented   #alias jap="export
XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"; export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP"

alias en="export XMODIFIERS=""; export LANG=en_US"

also, firefox can read nihongo if it is launched from
/opt/firefox/firefox &  but then it places .mozilla &
.phoenix in my home and launching mozilla from home
results in a non enabled nihongo browser.

and lastly, is the anthy method the newer/better
method over kinput2 -canna, which is how I use to
perform J-input in Redhat versions.

kind regards