[tlug] Re: Security question with grep/egrep

Well, a total change on this one. I sent the egrep version of the WWWJDIC
server code out to mirror sites, and found that it failed on two of them. (*)
It appeared to be a failure of the piping of the egrep results through
"head -nnn", and the result was the CGI would just hang until apache cleaned
it up.

So, I recoded it using in-line regcom/regexec/regerror calls. They weren't
as bad to drive as I first thought. The result is that at Monash (Solaris)
it seems to run a bit faster. I won't know how it goes on the mirrors until
they pick up and install the code.

One plus, from a user point-of-view, is that badly formed regexes will
result in the relevant regcomp/regerror message being passed back.

Jim

(*) one was RH8 and the other Debian. At least two other sites are Debians,
and they worked fine. Odd.

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 9554