[tlug] Writing with Linux

Copy-pasting.  I'm going to put some notes I've made about this in here
just in case it might be of interest to anyone.  This is a combination
of observations and half-questions.  No advice is needed exactly, but
any additional information about effective copy-pasting would be greatly
appreciated.  I work with text from different files (sometimes in
different formats) - generally tossing it into one file in order to most
effectively edit it.

Observations:

Working with Klipper, changing the setting from:
"Separate clipboard and selection"

- to:
"Synchronize contents of the clipboard and the selection"

- seems to help in some cases where things were not copy-pasting from
one application to another.

In copy-pasting from one application to another, sometimes the content
must be marked with Ctrl+C and then pasted with the third mouse button
and not Ctrl+V.

There are times when the same item keeps coming up when pasting - and
not the most recently selected item.  Going to Klipper and marking the
desired item, or else selecting "Clear clipboard history" is a
work-around that generally, but not always, works.

Text editors

I'm generally able to copy-paste into EditPad Pro, but not always.  The
times I'm not able to, I can copy-paste into SciTE, save that, and then
open that file with EditPad Pro.  Which brings me to a question that
some might have:

Why EditPad Pro?

Functionally, I think most of what you can do with EditPad Pro is also
doable with the other text editors, but SciTE forces me to work with a
black screen (I often work at night and a black or dark background is
less damaging to the eyes).  For this reason alone I would want to use
EditPad Pro (nedit opens in black, but I have to use the stark white
console to get there), and there are other reasons as well.  A few
things that come to mind are:

You can have several files open in the same window, with each file
having its own tab at the top of the screen.  When going from file to
file, this is much easier and more time efficient than having to switch
over to different windows.

Irrespective of how text will print etc. (it is a text editor after
all), you can set a default font size and style that you like to work
with.  Depending on your screen size and resolution settings, this can
really help out.  I'm using a 15-inch screen and the resolution is such
that the default font size in  most applications is a bit too small.
After changing the settings, it's exactly as I like it in EditPad Pro
every time I open the file.

Live spell check which can be easily toggled on and off.  I know - it's
beginning to sound like a word processor and not like a text editor, but
I assure you that it's a good balance of text editor and... well... any
text editor is a word processor in a way, but for extended writing, a
lot of text editors leave something to be desired.  EditPad Pro is the
only application I've used that allows me to work with
several-hundred-page files (50,000 words and up) effortlessly and stably.

No - I don't work for EditPad Pro or receive a royalty on sales!  It's
just that I have spent huge chunks of my life sitting in front of the
computer working with text, and no other program from either the Evil
Empire or the Free World has worked nearly as well for writing.  Whether
it's as good for programming, I don't know - I use it for writing....

And... a word about the group.  Thank you to everyone who has helped me
with one issue or another.  I think I can understand the short fuses of
those with higher levels of Linux skills - it's time consuming to help
people; and to invest a chunk of your life helping (every minute spent
is a minute you can never get back), and then not get anything in return
is bound to cause a profound dissatisfaction.  I will never be a
computer programmer, but I'll try to help from a user's standpoint anyway.

Lyle