Re: [tlug] Top Posting

Quoth A. Sajjad Zaidi:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:42:33AM -0500, Josh Glover wrote:
>>
>> I feel the best policy is Godwin's: to just delete top-posted email
>> outright.
>
> That has a few disadvantages. Top posters who are simply ignorant and
> would otherwise have reformed, end up clueless to what has happened.
>
> Secondly, there won't be any deterrent for lurkers who have yet to top
> post.

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I am advocating that normal list members ignore
top-posts. List moderators should *always* carry out the appropriate action
demanded by the three-strike rule.

So, all of you guys should simply delete top-posts, while Jonathan, Scott, and
I chastise the offender.

> I think the three-strike rule can work really well if enforced.

As do I. It *is* enforced, and has cut down on repeat offenders.

>> If the poster is not willing to play by our rules, he or she should not
>> expect to glean the benefits of this community.
>
> And they are "the rules", not just "our rules".

Right you are. :)

--
Josh Glover

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103