Re: [tlug] KDE 3.2 in SId, but...

On Mar 8, 2004, at 5:43 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     patrick> The thing that I have noticed since switching to OSX this
>     patrick> year was that you use Keyboard shortcuts a lot in
>     patrick> addition to the mouse.  This is better implemented than
>     patrick> anywhere else, because it is so consistent across
>     patrick> applications: Function+N always creates a new window,
>     patrick> function+c always copies, function+x always deletes.
>
> That turns out, uh, not to be the case.

	I have to agree with Dr. Turnbull here.   You ever try using
Acrobat Reader and relying on keyboard mnenomics to navigate?
It's not fun.  I'm very happy that Panther finally put in a useable
PDF Viewer since Acrobat made PDF browsing rather miserable
until Preview.app actually became useable.

> The only free software that has done a half-decent job of this (for
> more than a quarter-century now) is Emacs.  I suppose GNOME and KDE
> are probably coming close in the last couple of years, but you'd have
> to ask somebody who can bear to use them.

	I like KDE personally.  It has some rough edges and is a slob
in terms of resource usage but I like it.
	My main beef with using X11 is not the Window Managers/
Environments (unless they crash) but that all of the apps are not
consistent
in keybindings.    If you have Mozilla, Emacs, and some KApp loaded up
the
keybindings stop making sense unless you want to spend
time playing with keybinding (I lost interest in doing this years ago)
settings.  There has been progress going forward in this but I've
not been keeping track of it actively.
	In this sense, navigating Windows is a bit easier.   Once you
learn the keyboard bindings and the fun of right-clicking navigating
the GUI becomes a bit easier.  Not that I'm a gigantic fan of Windows
but I'm less of a fan of having to build my keybindings from scratch
and rather just learn someone else's.

Alain

"True Sharpness comes without effort" -Li Mu Bai