[tlug] GettingPastThings

Idiot Lyle here.

I put a new 120GB drive in an old Dell I have (P-II 350MHz, 320MB RAM),
and then installed SuSe 9.0, for which I have the boxed set.  It went in
fine, with one problem - it doesn't seem to have the right driver for
the sound chip on the motherboard of the Dell.  What has happened
(twice) is that everything seems to be working well, but when I reboot
the computer, it gets to the sound driver and just stops.  I have tried
<Esc>, <Delete>, <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del>, <Backspace>, text entry, etc., but
nothing happens.  I've gone into the BIOS and set it to ignore the
on-board sound chip, and I'm in the process of - as I write this - doing
a completely new install of SuSe 9.0, which will hopefully not even
attempt to install a sound driver, now that the BIOS is set to ignore
it....

Question.  Hopefully, this new setup will work, but if I get stuck like
that again, what needs to be done to get past something like that?

Idiot Lyle