Re: [tlug] Enterprise Linux Support

>>>>> "jba" == Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> writes:

    jba> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:03:58PM +0000, Botond Botyanszki
    jba> wrote:

    >> This week I saw an article somewhere pointing to a huge (25% or
    >> so)

    jba> Yeah, I saw that too.  That's a very significant number,

Big, but what does it signify?  I can't come up with a model that
connects that jump to anything else of interest.  I mean, people with
more-or-less working RH-based webservers aren't going to _all_
reinstall their whole farms at once.

On to the Comics pages:

    jba> The way I think the Linux market will shake out is that
    jba> Debian will be dominant among binary-based distros,

Eh, Debian ain't in the GNU-less Linux market.  ;-)

    jba> Gentoo will be dominant among source-based distros,

I like Fink's chances.  ;-)  Woops, not in the Linux market a-tall.

    jba> and Red Hat will wind up with a (granted, relatively large
    jba> and fairly profitable) niche among larger companies

If they can continue to pay a fair number of kernel hackers and glibc
maintainers and the like, they'll give Debian a run for their money.
There are an awful lot of people I respect (translation, "they should
know better" :-) who are running Fedora to keep their hands in on the
bleating itch enterprise-kludge feechers.  You know, just in case they
decide to blow off their current employers and turn consultant.