Re: [tlug] (digital) video

Shawn <javajunkie@example.com> wrote on Wed, 04 Feb 2004 08:57:36 +0900:
> > The most
> > important thing for me to get it easy was to choose Hauppauge
> > PVR-250/350, which ivtv driver supports enough on Linux.
>
> Did you find it in Japan?  If so, where? Cost?

I didn't find it in Japan.  So I jsut imported.  Mauro did so.  I
think it would be hard to find out a shop that sells on the web and
ships worldwide.  Mauro and I imported PVR-350 from:

http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod.cfm/215976/HAUPPAUGE/990

The price was almost USD 180.  S/H to Japan was 50-60 USD! (O_o) but I
ordered PVR-350 there with express service (UPS) because I really
wanted it and try in a hurry.

> >  I think I will write a recipe ...
>
> Please do!

I'm not finished like Mauro.  I would be writing after I finish.  I
think the recipe in short would be like this:

* Order PVR-350 :-)
* Subscribe ivtv mailing list for the update info.
* Prepare your hardware.
  (VIA chipset is not recommended according to the mailing list.  I
  used i815 mobo for P-III.)
* Install Gentoo Linux on your hardware.  When you build your kernel,
* follow the instruction at:
  http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=HowTo
  especially
  http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=GentooHowTo
* Get ivtv and utilities from:
  http://ivtv.sf.net
* Follow the instructions in the tar ball.
* Follow the instructions at:
  http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=TvOutHowto

I just got PVR-350 and followed GentooHowTo to install ivtv driver,
then I successfully got test MPEG files from the board.  I believe I
can get TV-Out if I continue.

Ciao,

Smiley
--