Re: [tlug] shell scripts

Brett Robson wrote:

>Does anyone know which is the most common Unix script these days? (I
>mean Unix not Linux). I'd assume that korn shell, but I haven't worked
>on Unix for a long time.

Depends on platform. In the commercial realm (i.e. Solaris and HP-UX),
Korn shell is wildy used/useful. I prefer ksh on Solaris. AIX, I forget.

With free OS's (*BSD, Linux), Bourne shell (sh) is the most wildly used
(for startup, system scripts, etc.). But tcsh is root's default install
on FreeBSD. tcsh is a big improvement of C shell (csh). On Linux and
FreeBSD (as a regular user), Bourne Again shell (bash) seems to be the
most popular.

For portability, the safest is to script in Bourne shell (sh). ksh,
pdksh, and bash, all can run Bourne shell (sh) scripts. Plus there's the
benefit of running on older OS and cross platform. And tcsh can run csh
scripts, if you're more familiar with csh.

Frank