Re: [tlug] viewing Microsoft's Japanese fonts in adobe reader

    Shawn> How can I get Microsoft Mincho P-Gothic etc fonts to view
    Shawn> in my adobe reader?

Are you sure you want to?  AFAICT they are non-standard and only work
correctly in Microsoft-crippled products.  (At least, TeX and/or
Ghostscript cannot get the spacing for things like zenkaku parens
right.)

Is there a reason you must use Adobe?  The Sklyarov fiasco
notwithstanding, I give Adobe a fair amount of credit for keeping the
Postscript and PDF standards pretty clean and public, and (unlike,
say, Sun) when their implementations don't conform to their own
standards they admit it.  But their apps are still proprietary, with
all the pain and agony that implies when you want to do something
outside of the design parameters.  Encouraging you to use stolen MSFT
fonts (if they are the fonts that came with Windows and the MSFT font
license hasn't gotten a lot more lenient since Windows ME, they are
stolen) presumably is not one of the design parameters.

I get fine results from both xpdf with the Japanese patches and
(requires a fair amount of know-how to set up) gv + Ghostscript >8.0.
I'm currently using the Kochi fonts.  The glyphs aren't quite as nice
as Microsoft's, but they are free (or nearly so for the "naga"
glyphs), and they play much better with TeX and other publishing apps.

If you must, it's trivial to set up the MSFT fonts for use with free
apps.  Put them where they belong, and configure them like any other
font.