[tlug] LAN naming

Hi all,

I agree with Byrne-san about the LAN convention, and picking more
practical names over funky ones (OK, so my home machines are called
Kuma, Onigiri and Typhoon).

For what it's worth, on the server/switch side, we tried to give our
servers building codes and numbers , with ranges set aside for specific
functions (11xx for file servers, 12xx for telecoms servers (truly some
of the most bizarre applications I have ever seen)). Of course scaling
is a problem. I regularly deal with about 30 of the 100 or so servers
we having in Asia, but even I look at a server number sometimes and
think 'What the hell was that one again?'.  I think we're going to end
up going back and rethinking that.

On the desktop name though, we've had more success; a couple of letters
for city, a couple for building, then floor number, then desk number,
and finally a letter for the number of PCs at that desk. We thought
about going for pod number based naming (the ethernet port box), but it
just wouldn't work for us.

At a tangent, a while ago we looked at iTracks (sp?) to help us track
PCs, but never implemented it. Anyone used it?

Graham

--
Linux: RedHat 9 on a AMD XP 2000+
Windows: Windows XP on AMD XP 2500+