Re: [tlug] RE: getting back on track [ was RE: introductions ]

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:04:13PM +0900, Raymond Regalado wrote:
>
> They also engaged in the worst case of version number
> inflation until Solaris 7 (2.6 -> 7, and even then it was referenced
> in many place in the OS as 2.7): They went from TurboLinux 4.x to
> TurboLinux 6.0 with nothing in between.  There was perhaps one point
> release in the 4.x series IIRC, and 5.x was skipped entirely.  Apparently,
> a bigger version number makes your software better :-p

Until you get to version 9. There seems to be very few packages that go
to double digit versions. Count the number of version 10s you see, they
are very rare and you can be sure they are from "serious" suppliers.
Version 9 is a guarrantee of a major name change (still trying to work
out the successor to Cakwalk Audion Pro 9 that I have).

I think this will be RHs death nell. VMS then Unix became popular
because of university exposure. It is people like us that decide which
system to install but RH have reduced their "market" to enterprise
servers (RH) and the serious hacker (Fedora). People like me are less
interested in nuts and bolts of Linux as such, but more interested in it
as a programming environment.

With a lot less new people choosing RH their market will only decrease.

Brett

--
Brett Robson
Systems Administrator