Re: [tlug] "Safe" counter

Howdy,

	I've never heard of a web counter being exploited by a spammer.
Although many
of these counters seem to be  CGI programs that were written for
functionality rather than
protecting against malformed data being sent to it.  So if you just
drop one of those counters
it really is up to you to spend time assessing the vulnerability risk
of that cgi program.
But any CGI program that can be exploited is just another tool in the
spammer's toolchest
to get spam out.

	Another way to handle it is do a pure server side solution although
then you
need to look at the server side solution (such as PHP) and make sure
you don't
open up other vulnerabilities.

	The last option that I can think of is to just use a web server log
analysis tool
and pipe the results to a HTML file once in awhile and live without
live on the fly web
counters.

Cheers,
Alain