Re: [tlug] Debian Firewall

Hi,

	No not exactly.   It depends on what options you choose for installing
each package.  Did you use tasksel to install a default set of
packages?  If so
tasksel usually bundles up a pile of packages and dependencies for
installation
and will prompt you along the way for each package for a set of
defaults that
it wants.  If you just keep hitting enter the default setting is not
that bad.
Debian tries to hard to install sensible defaults for any of the
network services
you might install by default.

	Redhat and Mandrake from what I've seen turn on a bunch of services by
default that I question whether they should be running by default then
throw on the
packet filtering firewall as a stopgap option which imo is band aid
security.

	The Debian manual has some tasks for hardening your Debian installation
here as well as finding some packages for installing a firewall with
some utilities that
make the process easier.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/index.en.html