Re: [tlug] Novell buys SuSE

Uva is still posting from somewhere not subscribed.  :-/

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 05:05:01PM +0900, Uva Coder wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:31:47PM +0900, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> > When Novell bought Ximian, I was surprised.  Now that they have
> > apparently agreed to buy SuSE, I guess we have to take Novell
> > seriously in the Linux world.
> >
> >   <http://www.silicon.com/0,39024729,39116745,00.htm>
>

> I wouldn't be suprised if one of the big names (e.g. IBM, or Oracle, or
> SUN) bought RedHat in 2004.

Possible.  I noticed that part of the Novell deal includes $50M
from IBM invested into Novell.

> With RedHat making a significant cutback in their user base, the alarm
> for a buyout has to cross someone's mind. A weak company with poor management
> (RedHat) and a decent product equals a good opportunity for some large
> organization.

RHAT has been rising nicely for months, but yesterday put a -11%
crimp in that chart.

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/