Re: [tlug] Measuring Rsync bandwidth

Hi Patrick,

If you do a rsync with the --stats argument, you'll get a pile of
information at the end. IIRC the ones you want are "Total bytes written"
for outgoing network traffic, and "Total bytes read" for incoming. These
stats are repeated at the bottom in a slightly different format and
accompanied by the speed in bytes per second (wrote $outgoing bytes
read $incoming bytes   $speed bytes/sec).

I've found that the minimum amount of traffic rsync needs to run is
directly proportional to the number of files you are syncing. Usually a
couple of megs for a large directory tree (a whole system and a couple
hundred thousand data files). No minimum speed, but 2TB over a 2400 baud
modem might cause other problems.

Neil